Saturday, February 18

Implement Interlude: So this one time, we went to Italy.

One of the (do I dare say, MANY) perks of being a farmer is the sheer amount of flexibility it provides. And while a two week vacation to Italy in the middle of summer is not common among farmers, Tim and I had been planning this rendezvous for so long that Tim's parents felt pity on us and told us they'd cover while we were gone. Summer is probably the most busy time for a farmer in Northwest Kansas. Why, you say? I thought you'd never ask. One of the main reasons is harvest. Every July, around the 4th- give or take a couple weeks, we begin wheat harvest. Depending on a whole host of factors, we will be in the field about two weeks for harvest. But in all the time leading up to this point beginning around March 1, there is lots of maintenance, field work and irrigation monitoring to be done (and there will be more on that later). So in maybe the longest way possible, I have tried to demonstrate why it is I am so grateful to Linda and Gerry for making the trip possible and allowing me to show off my tour guide skills to Tim.

And at the risk of tooting my own proverbial horn, I would like to share some highlights from our trip, planned by me- with the help of my good friend Rick Steves (AKA: International travel guru, author of lifesaving travel books, saver of money and giver of practical advice). Too much? Well I digress. We flew out of Denver because it is, in fact, the closest airport at only 2.5 hours from our home. We had one stop in Newark before flying into Milan.
Tim's really excited about the trip...and this picture.
Once in Milan, we headed straight from the airport to the train station to head out for Venice. We were in Venice for 2.5 days. But I'm embarrassed to say that once we hit the hotel room, we went right to sleep instead of waiting until evening (it's like 3 in the afternoon). But it was a blessing in disguise because we slept. And slept. And slept some more, but come morning we were up and ready to go and didn't slow down for the rest of trip.
Quintessential Venice.
And in case you were wondering, because I would, we DID go on the obligatory gondola ride. At night. I'm a hopeless romantic, what can I say.

Our next train took us to Monterosso, one the five towns that make up the Cinque Terre. Most of these towns are built into the mountainside, along Italy's west coast. GORGEOUS. And might I add, our favorite food. Tim's calamari was out of this world and I'm speechless when it comes to my chocolate souffle. Let's just say I'm a novice with my camera, so a dark room + a wide angle lens = no good proof. You will have to take us at our word. Or better yet- go see for yourself!!
We saw many a men. On boats. In speedos.
View from our balcony. No big deal...
Next stop- Florence. Not too much to say here except, thanks in part to Rick Steves and dumb luck, we landed in the heart of the city right next to the Duomo. The most memorable and hot part of Florence was the day we walked up to Piazzale Michaelangelo. Most people will recommend taking a bus to the top, but we're young and ventured up there on foot- normally not too difficult except we did it on a day it was 106°F. Whoops.
Said overlook. 
And in case you thought I wasn't really there.
Our next to last visit was to the medieval town of Siena. It was so quaint and charming compared to the larger cities we'd visited prior, and was an enjoyable town to stroll. And stroll we did. In addition to our aimless and joyous wandering, we took an afternoon class on Tuscan wine. The "teacher" came from a small Tuscan village, which the name escapes me at the moment, who's part of a three generation family vineyard. Did you know that if Tim and I stick with this farming gig, we'll also be a third generation farming operation? So needless to say, she knew lots and while I'm easily fooled when it comes to wine, I'm pretty sure she knew her stuff. I would also recommend you do some reading of your own about this fantastic town. This post would be even more ridiculously long if I expounded, but should you be so inclined check out the history of their Il Campo- so cool.


And finally. Rome. We spent three full days in Rome and did it all: Vatican, Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, night walks across the city (again, hopeless romantic), St. Peters and the list goes on.
St. Peter's Square. 
Pantheon.
Final thoughts:
1. Everyone should travel outside their country of origin
2. It was confirmed that pasta is my favorite food group
3. Yes, the sky was as blue as the pictures indicate. No rain. Not once.
4. Both a city girl and country boy can survive on 3 pair of underwear for 2 weeks (we did launder- c'mon!)
5. If you're still reading this, I feel that next time we meet, I should buy you a cookie! 

Thanks for indulging me.

8 comments:

  1. Rick Steves Rules. I can't believe you went to Siena, I LOOOOOVE Siena :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't I remember all these places...are you sure that was me??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so reading Rick Steves right now for Paris. Great minds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah- what's your favorite kind of cookie? ;)
    Stina- most importantly...you're having a BABY!!!!! Secondly...Rick Steves!!!!
    Tim- no comment.
    Tara- it WAS amazing. You should have been there!
    Vic- he's no joke. The gospel according to Steve- don't leave the hotel room without him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to comment... but instead of earning a cookie I'll take So Long. And also, I would have been fine with MORE pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can bring my cookie when you visit this weekend. Make sure you bring Farmer Tim along.

    ReplyDelete