Monday, April 23

Corn on my mind.

It's that time of year again. For what, you ask? To plant corn. Obviously. And to commemorate the occasion I have some pictures to share. I think what really makes this year's corn planting so momentous is that it marks the time we moved back to Kansas...which means I survived our first year in Small Town USA. Or it survived me (?)- because between you and me, I've not always been a peach. Tim says I've been a trooper, but probably that's his secret way of saying, "you think she looks normal and pleasant, but you don't have to live with her." I jest...And now for a farm wife's perspective of what happens right before you plant the corn (I say that because I've been known to miss a few things around here).

1. Check the temperature of the soil. If it's not an optimal reading, the corn won't take very well.
2. Add seed to the planter and do a test run.
3. After the test run, check that the depth of the planted seed is where you want it.
4. Go. Then go some more- as in, like, 10 days to 2 weeks.
So wish us luck and say a prayer- that the crops grow and thrive, that Farmer Tim et al. stays safe and that I don't make too many imaginary friends, as things will be busy for the next six-ish months.

No comments:

Post a Comment