Monday, April 2

Is that a...balding spot?

At first I was afraid. I was petrified. And then we got our hands a little dirty...and survived. Farmer Tim and I, along with a couple of others, help with our church's middle and high school youth group and we had a lock in Friday night. This age group scares the pants right off me. Half of the time, they leave me speechless as I'm trying to relate. They're way smart and more perceptive than we give them credit, they ask (lots of) questions, want desperately to fit in and can't decide if needing their mom is passé (kids, we always need our moms). And oh, the energy. Did I mention their endless supply? I thought it was a myth too, until 3am rolled around and playing Sasquatch (apparently the latest craze in the game of tag) still sounded like a good idea.

So how's an almost 29 yr. old supposed to be cool and happening with such a crowd? I'm not. I'm just supposed to be present week in and week out. I just try to answer their questions, try to relate and give them due credit. But most importantly, I try to be a living example of Jesus. And maybe in doing that, they'll be a little less scary and think I'm a little bit cool (or not). But even if I am a little scared and not super cool, I press on because I love them and I want them, even more, to know and love Jesus.

And now, for the best part of my evening (muahahahahaha, voiced in an evil laugh). To preface, Tim is getting his hair "done" by some of the kids. And as they're working in that bottle of mousse, one of them says to Tim, "you don't have a lot of hair right there," referring to what I'll call a...balding spot. April Fool's???? We were both speechless. And I laughed- lovingly, of course.
Farmer Tim = good sport
Clearly (??) we survived- at least nothing was broken and no one got hurt. And that, to me, is grounds for a W. Kind of like KU tonight...

3 comments:

  1. The Cheerios t-shirt! PS. This age is great but not without hundreds of questions. Agreed.

    ReplyDelete